DESIGNER EPIC™ Leather Bag
Cut Out All Pieces
Cut out all pieces for the bag according to the measurements in the illustration below. All seam allowances are included in the measurements (sew together using the presser foot width as seam allowance).
Embroider the Front Piece
1. Hoop Stick-on Stabilizer in the DESIGNER™ Majestic hoop, carefully cut and remove the protective paper inside the inner hoop.
2. Place the front piece on the sticky stabilizer, flatten and press to stick the leather to the stabilizer.
3. Start Embroidering
Change the machine needle to a leather needle.
Select design A:10
Skip color block 1 (the connection stitches) to avoid unnecessary marks in the leather.
Embroider color block 2.
Skip color block 3.
Change to the first cutwork needle, and embroider the first cutwork block. Then continue with the other cutwork blocks, changing needles as described on screen.
After the 4th cutwork block, remove the hoop from the embroidery unit arm.
Use a small pair of scissors to cut away the remains of leather and stabilizer.
5. Attach the hoop again, and place a piece of fabric underneath the hoop.
6. Go backwards in the color block list. Embroider the third color block. Remove the hoop and trim the fabric on the back of the front piece. Turn the hoop and attach it to the embroidery unit arm.
Repeat the above steps to embroider the other side of the embroidery.
Assemble the Leather Strap
7. Take the two long leather strips and place them wrong sides together. Place the wider strip on bottom and the other centered on top. Adjust the width of the leather strips to fit your hooks.
8. Stitch the two layers together using the Non-Stick Glide Foot H and the straight stitch in right needle position. Trim excess leather.
9. Fold the strap around one of the hooks. Riveting the strap together around the hook following instructions included with the rivets.
SEW THE BAG
10. Assemble the Leather Pieces
Take the small leather pieces (marked D in the cutting scheme), and fold around each of the D-rings. Adjust the width of these pieces to fit the width of your D-rings.
Place the back piece of the bag with the right side up.
Place the D-rings on top approximately 4” (10cm) from the top. Place the front piece on top, right sides together.
11. Sew the long sides together.
12. When sewing in leather, you cannot press the seams using an iron. To get flat seams, open the seam, flatten with a hammer, and then glue the seams as illustrated.
13. When the glue has dried, continue sewing the bottom seam (flatten and glue).
14. Form the bottom by sewing the last two seams. Turn right sides out.
Assemble the Lining
15. Place the fabric pieces for the lining (C in the cutting scheme) right sides together. Sew the side and bottom seams. Press.
16. Form the bottom by sewing the last two seams.
17. Sew the two leather pieces for lining top together (B in the cutting scheme). Flatten the seams open and glue.
18. Place the lining top right sides together with the lining as illustrated below and sew together. Fold right sides out, finger press the seam and topstitch.
19. Assemble the Bag
Place the lining inside the leather bag wrong sides together.
Stitch the bag and lining together.
Mark where you want the eyelets for the cord. Spread them equally on the front and back of the bag. We have used eight eyelets, placed approx. 2 ¾” (7cm) from the top of the bag. The first 2 eyelets are placed 6.5 cm from the center and the next 2 eyelets, 8.5 cm from the first 2. Since the front piece is embroidered, try to place the eyelets where there is no embroidery.
Mount the eyelets following the instructions included with them.
Thread the cord through the eyelets. Sew a stop to use when closing the bag.
Fold a piece of leather (E, in the cutting scheme) so that each side meets evenly in the center with a ¼” (7mm) overlap. Sew together (make sure the openings are large enough to fit the leather cord).
Thread the “stopper” onto the leather cord.
Take the two leather pieces used for tassels (F in the cutting scheme). Cut strips along the long side leaving ¾” (15mm) un-cut at the top.
Apply glue to the un-cut parts of the leather pieces. Place the leather cord on one end of the leather, then fold/roll until a tassel is created.
Enjoy Your Bag!